James Jefferson Henry 1849 MO -1927 KY Feb 17, 2006 22:51:28 GMT -6
Post by benotforgot on Feb 17, 2006 22:51:28 GMT -6
The following James Jefferson "Jeff" Henry (1849-1927) was a 1st cousin to our William Paschal Henry (1836-1912).
Genealogy and Biography, Volume V, 3rd edition, 1886, Green Co.
JEFF HENRY, of Scotch and Welsh descent, was born February 26, 1849, in Cedar County, Mo., and is the fourth of four sons and four daughters, all of whom lived to be grown, born to James L. and Margaret (Brownlee) Henry.
J. L. Henry [brother of our Thomas Henry] was born February 22, 1811, four miles north of Greensburg, Ky., and was a farmer; in 1837 he with his family moved to Cedar County, Mo., where he became the owner of 4,400 acres, also owned a large slave property, and became the first county judge; and after Dade was stricken off became its first county judge, and held the position for twenty years, up to the breaking out of the war.
In 1861, he went to Sherman, Tex., with his negroes. In 1863 his family joined him. After the war he located in Cane Hill, Ark., where he educated his family. (He had a son, C. M. Henry, who became a brigadier-general in the Confederate Army.) He died in 1871, but his family continued to remain in Arkansas.
He was a son of Bellfield and Elizabeth (Kirtley) Henry [parents of our Thomas Henry], both of Virginia. They immigrated to Green County, Ky., about 1800, where Bellfield Henry became an extensive farmer, served as sheriff, and died in 1850.
Mrs. Margaret Henry was born in Green County, Ky., and was a daughter of Charles and Elizabeth (Allen) Brownlee, who came from Virginia in the early settling of Green County. Charles Brownlee was a captain in the war of 1812; flatboated considerably in early days to New Orleans, and was an extensive farmer and trader. He was a son of Gen. Wm. Brownlee of Virginia, who received his title in the war of 1812; after the war he received a large land grant, and was a very early settler of Green County.
Jeff Henry was reared on a farm; up to the war he was educated at the common schools, and after the war at Cane Hill, Mo. In November, 1871, he located in Greensburg, Ky., where he has been engaged in the practice of law ever since. He had commenced the study under the instruction of Gen. Reagan, now of Texas, procured his license soon after locating in Greensburg, was elected county attorney in 1874, and held the office two terms.
December 12, 1872, he was united in marriage to Josie L. Tery, a daughter of Joseph and Sarah (Tebbs) Tery, who were natives of Adair (now Metcalfe) and Green Counties respectively. Mr. and Mrs. Henry have had born to them one child, Claudia M. Mrs. Henry is a member of the Presbyterian Church, and in politics Mr. Henry is an active and influential Democrat, and cast his first presidential vote for Tilden.